Online Preaching Class – At Christian Leaders Institute, Students evaluate the online preaching class and share their reflections. In this class, students survey teachings from some of the great preachers in our era. I thought I would share one reflection with you tonight.
HOW SERMON CONSTRUCTION HAS HELPED ME IN MY PREACHING
Sermon Construction and Presentation was a great online preaching class for me. I have learned a lot from it. It is now helping me in my ministration as a Sunday school teacher in my church, Personal preaching to people and Christian discussion with people to help their faith.
The Following are the things I learned in the online preaching class.
Online Preaching Class: FIRST WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEP
I learned here what preaching/sermon are and the different types of sermon that we have.
What is a Sermon: It is declaring the unchanging truth of God’s word in a fresh, new, and life-changing way.I Learned that My Sermon Must engage the biblical context, proclaims the gospel, Connects God’s word to the life my audience, Be well organized and Easy to understand, Engage the imagination of my audience, Delivered effectively and orients my audience towards life in God’s word. This online preaching class was very helpful!
I learned Different types of Sermon: Of all the various types of Sermon, i found expository better as it helps into expanding what the Word of God is to the hearer compare to others like Personal Testimony, Bibliography, historical incident, topical, textual, springboard etc.
Online Preaching Class: SECOND WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEP
I learned how to begin a sermon. In beginning a sermon, I must do the Following
- I must put God First and allow Him to guide me in the messages to preach so as to come out with a message From Him to my audience. I must pray before and throughout my sermon.
- I must pray my way through sermon preparation because I need guidance in what to say and how to say it to my audience
- Preach to the need of my audience
- Know the occasion. Is it birthday, Sunday service, funeral, revival, bible study service
- I must research
- Know where I am preaching.
- Gather sermon materials, select bible scripture
This online preaching class taught me that my sermon must have 3 things which are: The seed-the seed of the sermon is the word of God) ,The Soil-The soil of the sermon is the People Hearing the Word, and The Spirit-The Success of the Sermon is the Holy Spirit.
Online Preaching Class: THIRD WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEP
I learned studying and putting together of my sermon.The study for My sermon must have the following 5 things: The study of the culture of Christianity, The study of what it means to the first hearer, The study of what it means to me, The study of what the word means to others, The study of what the word means to me.
Online Preaching Class: FORTH AND FIFTH WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEP
I learned how important my introduction must be.
I have just 90 Seconds to convince my audience. During my introduction I must reveal the problem to them. Make them understand the importance of my message and why they really need it in their lives. I learning that I must use the 7 Gears in my Introduction which are:
- Opening Illustration(starting in their world)
- Personal Connection(Connect With them, preparing them ready)
- Reveal the Problem, the fallen condition Focus(FCF) that only Christ can Solved
- Scripture/Passage Connections. explain how the passage is God’s Word to them
- Series Connection: explain How this Message will fit into their lives and their needs
- Proposition; Providing Answers to the Problem
- Interrogative Questions: How to apply them to their lives
Online Preaching Class: SIXTH WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEP
I learned how to prepare the body of my sermon and the body language to use. I did not expect this from an online preaching class!
In writing my Sermon body I must
- Start with a sermon skeleton :I will begin by determining the title, theme, central idea, outline, and other elements that make up the framework of the message
- Put the Meat into the bones i.e. Provides Write up for my Outline
- Write for the Ear. What am writing must first make sense to me before my audience. As I am writing, I must think about those who will listen to what I am saying, not those who may read what I am writing
- Make it simple, clear to understand and properly edited.
- Put in Proper usage of my body language .e.g. Hands, Voice, feet, body etc
- I must watch out for pulpit plagiarism
Online Preaching Class: SEVENTH WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEP
I learned how to explain/illustrate my sermons. Here I learn that that my sermon must be/Have:
- Concrete: I must not be abstract in my word/illustration
- Connotation: I must start with the head to get to their heart and mind
- Conflict: I Must explain the Problem to my audience
- Conclusion: I Must Provide the Solution to that problem
- Connection: My Illustration must link to my sermon/Message
- Christ: My Illustration/Message must @ all or any time Point my audience to Christ.
Online Preaching Class: EIGHTH AND NINTH WEEK LEARNINGS AND ACTION STEPs
Here I learned about my Conclusion when writing or developing a sermon. The Following are my learning.
- I must have the sermon conclusion with my introduction in mind
- I Must end sermon with the beginning turned around i.e. I will adds a very simple twist .
- I must build a burning consideration within my audience or congregation. When am ending my sermon, I must end it in a way that it lives on throughout the week. This can be done through prayer and proper choice of Word. It’s the Holy Spirit that convicts; He will help when I call on Him.
- My Sermon must point people back to Christ and I must offer an opportunity to receive Christ and expect people to respond.
- My sermon must have an argument in it so as to anticipate the objections the audience might have and logically refute them.
- My Sermon must have warning in it so as to warn them of the consequences of disobedience.
- My Sermon must have compassion in it so as to express God’s love and concern for my audience.
- My Sermon must have vision. I must be able to Paint a picture of what is possible if they obey God
- My Sermon must have encouragement. This will tell them they can do this with God’s power.
- My Sermon must be personal so that the person listening will feel like I am talking to him or her.
- In My Sermon I must Use a compelling illustration so as to helps make the message memorable.
- My Sermon must have piercing question. This engages in processing and applying the message.
This was an amazing online preaching class for me. I highly recommend this online preaching class for those who are interesting in serving in ministry.
Check out this great resource for sermons, click here